Jul 13, 2012
April 13th I quit my day job and started working on Dance Party Massacre full-time. It's now July 13th, and I've hit a 1/4 year mark—which may not sound like a lot but when it takes up most of your life it is. They say it can take 5+ years for a business to be successful. Well, technically I have been running this line going on 5 years since the summer of 2007. Maybe this is the year for success to be found—at least on my terms.
During the 3 months I have fully been able to devote to this a line a lot has happened:
• Facebook and Twitter numbers has grown by hundreds (with your help)
• Orders have more than doubled per frequency
• We've been featured in 2 well-read publications (Fangoria and Panorama)
• Released 2nd Artist Series with much success in sales and press (I shot and edited that look book too, so makes me that much more happy.)
• I must have sent out at least 100 free swag packs
• Spotlighted to be featured at shopping site Uncovet
• After much hesitation throughout the years, I decided to share my story with everyone and the response has been amazing
And I receive so many more e-mails about people loving and supporting the brand. That to me is successful. Getting people to care about your brand is a success. Can I live off of this full-time yet? Absolutely not. Just every day expenses of rent, food, insurance, loans, etc.—Geez, I don't know how people do it. But I am happy. I will keep fighting, because I see people responding. I can live a life of not sleeping until the sun comes up, strutting my own path, and doing things that scare me daily on my own. But I want to share it, and I think there's people out there that want to do that too.
So let's see where this ride takes us. If you want to see a dream become a reality, you're as much a part of that as me. We're in this thing together.
PS-Did I mention it's Friday the 13th today? Go do 1 thing that scares you.